Your roof plays a vital role in keeping you protected from the outside elements. However, severe weather can cause significant damage to your roof. Understanding the most common signs of storm damage is important in helping you find a roofing company to make repairs as soon as possible. Experienced Pennsylvania roofers can quickly identify any damages to your roof and take the appropriate action to ensure that you are well-protected in the future.
Here are a few of the most common causes of roof damage due to severe storms.
#1 Hail Damage
Hail storms can cause significant damages and may even force you to replace your roof. Typically, hail damage is easy to see, as it can cause dents in your roof and even tear-away shingles. You may also notice shingles on the ground near your home. The best way to take care of this problem is to contact an experienced roofing company that specializes in repair work due to severe weather.
#2 Water Leaks
Missing shingles due to hail and wind damage is easy to identify, but the effects of water damage can take much longer to detect. Failure to quickly treat water damage can lead to mold growth and other health hazards. Checking your ceiling for water spots is a good way to identify leaks. Your walls may also begin to crack, or the paint may bubble due to water damage. You can also check your attic and basement for wood rot or mold. Doing a thorough inspection of your home is essential in identifying water leaks.
#3 Wind Damage
High winds can also create significant damage to your roof in only a short amount of time. These winds can blow shingles away and expose the roof deck to the outside elements, which greatly increases the chance of water damage. These winds can also blow trees down on your home and cause substantial structural damage. Getting these roofing repairs done as soon as possible is essential in limiting further damage to your home.
Taking the time to understand the most common causes of roof damage is essential for homeowners to minimize the cost of repairs. C&C Roofing and Siding are experienced Pennsylvania roofers that specialize in providing roofing repairs for a variety of customers for over 25 years. Our goal is to always provide you with fast and reliable roofing services without sacrificing quality. You can also reach out to our staff members at any time, as we are more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Feel free to reach out to C&C Roofing and Siding to learn more about the importance of roof repairs and schedule a free consultation!
Your home’s roof protects you and your belongings from some of the worst weather nature has to offer. However, while it’s built to withstand an onslaught, that doesn’t it’s invincible. Wind, rain and hail can all leave behind damage that’s not always easy to see. It’s important that you know what to look for so you can address the problem as soon as possible. If you don’t fix the damage quickly, you will end up with much bigger problems. Ambler roofers see this every day. We want you to know what you should look for so you don’t have to go through that.
While hail damage is immediately recognizable on things like cars, windows and metal buildings, it’s not always so easy to see on a shingle roof.
- Some of the shingles may be missing. You might notice that there are empty spaces in the roof pattern or find shingles laying on the ground nearby.
- Check the shingles for cracks or dents. Once they’re damaged like this, they may no longer form a reliable seal.
- It’s normal for some of the asphalt granules to wear off the shingles over time, but it should never be quickly and in large amounts. If you find a lot of these granules in your gutters or downspouts after a storm, you may want to have your whole roof inspected.
Strong winds are one of the biggest threats to your roof. When the materials that protect the deck from water are gone with the wind, the decking is left vulnerable.
- Bent or missing flashing and gutters mean that the rest of the roof likely sustained some degree of wind damage.
- On shingle roofs, shingles may be missing, curled, buckled or torn. Some may also be loose and out of place.
- Flat roofs may present tears, bubbling, wrinkles and bent or missing material.
Water damage is often the worst-case scenario. Sometimes it happens because roof issues went too long without attention. Other times, it can be directly related to recent storm damage. Water damage can lead to mold and wood rot over time and can be costly to repair. Unfortunately, it’s not always obvious right away and Ambler roofers try to stress the importance of looking for the early signs.
- Check your gutters for water accumulation. If excess rainwater can’t be reliably directed away from your home, it will overflow onto the ground and seep into the foundation. It could even begin to seep under flashings, vents and roof coverings.
- Ceilings may present with discoloration or active dripping. This can be a sign that significant amounts of water have breached the roof.
- Thoroughly inspect basements and attics. Be vigilant for rotted, warped or moldy wood, musty odors and the presence of standing or dripping water.
The last thing you want to deal with after severe weather is extensive damage to your home and possessions. If you notice any of the signs above and suspect your roof was damaged in a storm, please call us right away.